IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Dylan's Raspberry Hand Pies

Yields:
8 hand pies
RATE THIS RECIPE
(26)

Chef notes

These raspberry hand pies are my husband’s favorite. They’re easy-to-hold pocket pies filled with raspberry jam from a jar. I like to make the crust with a tip I learned once using vodka in the recipe. The alcohol burns off during cooking and leaves the crust very flaky. I worried about having to adjust this recipe to be gluten-free for Cal, but it is truly so beyond delicious, you’d never know! I prefer to use Cup4Cup gluten-free flour in this recipe, and I’d even use it if we didn’t have to be gluten-free, but regular flour will work just fine, too.

Did you make this recipe? Show us! Your dish may be featured on the TODAY Show.

Ingredients

• cups (163 grams) Cup4Cup gluten-free flour (or regular all-purpose flour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 4 ounces good unsalted butter, cold, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/8 cup cold vodka
  • 1/8 cup cold water
  • 1 jar of your favorite jelly (I use raspberry)
  • 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
  • turbinado sugar, for sprinkling

Preparation

Put all ingredients in the fridge before starting; you want everything to be cold.

Mix flour, salt and sugar together. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or your hands until the mixture looks crumbly with lumps of butter. Drizzle in vinegar and vodka. Mix with a fork; it’ll continue to be crumbly. Slowly add in the water until it’s a dry, crumbly but manageable dough; I don’t use all the water. With your hands, get the dough together. Shape into a square, wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Divide the dough evenly into 8 pieces. Roll out each piece into a thin but manageable circular shape. Sprinkle flour on the table to prevent sticking. Add 2 teaspoons of jelly into the center on the circle. Fold over to make a half circle and crimp or fold the edges. Stab with a fork to release steam. Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.

Place on parchment paper and bake at 400 F until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Enjoy!